How to use incognito® natural insect repellent products
incognito® mosquito repellent spray and roll-on are suitable for all the family, including babies from 3 months old and those with very sensitive skin- provided a patch test is carried out first. These are the recommended suggestions for maximum protection. Where insects are less of a problem, or if you are confident that you rarely get bitten by mosquitoes, you can afford to take fewer precautions, as demonstrated in the video below.
To use incognito® spray:
- Shake bottle and hold 6 inches away from skin or clothing to be sprayed.
- Hold breath to avoid sneezing and then spray on all exposed skin and clothing.
- After spraying onto skin, pat the area. If you are asthmatic or have any other respiratory problems we suggest you use the roll-on instead.
- On average incognito® natural insect repellent spray will give you up to 5 hours of good protection. Spray as frequently as required depending on the individual and the intensity of the insects present.
- It is a good idea to spray yourself whilst naked, ideally after washing with an incognito® luxury soap, Hair & Body Wash and/or loofah soap and then, after dressing, spray your clothing as well.
- For extra protection apply incognito® moisturiser first -use liberally all over, avoiding contact with eyes – just like any other moisturiser - also use after sunbathing; the high concentration of aloe vera in it is particularly beneficial.
- incognito® roll-on & spray should be applied over sun lotions or any other applications.
On average, one adult will use one bottle of incognito® natural anti mosquito repellent spray per week in tropical climates (4 days for the roll-on). We do strongly suggest you take a spare bottle with you, especially when going to places where insect-borne disease is rife and you cannot buy more. For children, half a spray bottle per week should suffice or a roll-on.
Because of incognito® spray’s and roll-on’s strength, a very small percentage of users, usually those with hypersensitive skin could develop an irritation to the product. If you think this applies to you, then we suggest you do a "patch-test", spraying a small area of the body (e.g. the inside of your wrist) to see if any reaction occurs or alternatively, just use incognito® mosquito repellent on the outside of your clothing. It is always a good idea to patch test babies and children. Research has shown that incognito® is suitable for use on babies from 3 months old, but a patch test can still be carried out.
Although to most people the following advice is obvious we still need to point out the following:
- Do not spray incognito® mosquito repellent into your eyes (or anybody else's), and avoid contact with the entire eye area with all incognito® products.
- Apply on face, neck, head and ears by spraying incognito® onto your hand and patting the solution onto these vulnerable areas or use the roll-on.
- incognito® mosquito repellent should be applied both night* and day when at risk.
- Reapply incognito® natural insect repellent products after swimming, washing and during periods of elevated perspiration.
*NB: It is essential to sleep under a mosquito net at night (preferably impregnated) as no mosquito repellent or any other topical application will protect you for the entire time you sleep. Many plug-ins and nearly all mosquito coils emit toxic vapours that can cause very serious health problems, so only use them to clear a closed room or when you are not in the room.
Always read the label thoroughly. A Long Lasting Impregnated (LLI) mosquito netis the only sure-fire way of not getting bitten during the night. Our strong mosquito repellent spray is clinically proven to protect against malaria when used in conjunction with an impregnated mosquito net.
Even if you are staying in upmarket accommodation you need to check that impregnated nets are provided if you have any doubt that you will be at risk. Be especially wary of claims like, "there are no mosquitoes here!” As many hotel staff (And even some tourist boards and Information Centres) have been told to say things like this to their guests! If you are visiting malarial zones then pack an LLI mosquito net – they are lightweight and take up very little room when folded.
In extreme conditions e.g. an area of intense insect activity like a malaria-infested jungle, it is still a good idea to apply more incognito® anti mosquito products than you would under normal conditions. This is also the case if you are especially attractive to insects or consider yourself a "mosquito magnet"! Also read Avoiding Insect Bites for more information on this.
Larger persons tend to attract more mosquitoes because of their greater surface area of skin and more cells; they emit more kairomones. Every individual skin cell produces CO2, lactic acid, heat etc., so if you fall into this category you will probably need to reapply incognito® more frequently. We strongly recommend that you use other incognito® products such as our moisturiser, soaps (especially the loofah), deodorant, incense sticks, pure organic Java citronella oil and Hair & Body Wash – the more the merrier - to be on the safe side. At the very least you will need extra incognito® spray and or roll-on to use with any of our washing products.
You can also spray incognito® around doors, on netting and window frames to keep out unwanted visitors, although it is simpler & more economic to burn our Organic Java citronella in an oil burner or open up a Room Refresher. Our other products can also be used in conjunction with the strong mosquito spray or roll-on to give you unprecedented protection. If you plan to take the spray in a pressurised environment, like a plane, wrap it up in a plastic bag, which can be reused later to store dirty clothing or other items that smell attractive to insects.
To use incognito® lemongrass incense sticks
- Light the tip, blow out the flame and affix the stick in earth, sand or other sturdy place.
- Only use in a well ventilated room, if people or animals are present, or outdoors. The sticks can also be used to smoke insects out of a room, tent or any dwelling by lighting at least 1 stick per room & letting the smoke build up before opening window or doors (open for 5 minutes then close or alternatively use a room refresher or burn organic Java oil).
- NB Do not stay inside this unventilated environment except to briefly open windows.
- incognito® lemongrass incense sticks along with our other products can be used in conjunction with the spray to stop insects buzzing around you both indoors & outside. This is especially worth doing if you are staying in backpacker accommodation or other non-air con rooms even if you cannot see any insects!
To use incognito® Room Refresher
- Our room refresher is brilliant to use to freshen up any room!
- Simply lift the lid and your dwelling will start to smell of a fresh pine forest! It has an extra benefit of keeping out insects.
- NB Use the sticks to remove insects, as the room refresher will mainly keep them out if they are not already present!
- We’ve found that you can use them up to 3 weeks, longer if the lid is replaced. They are a handy travel item which could also be used anywhere from camping to upmarket accommodation. Inside use only is recommended.
To use incognito® luxury loofah soap
- Use every 2-3 days.
- Exfoliating with a loofah is the only way to remove all the dirt from the skin pores; bacteria feed off this detritus and excrete a powerful kairomone (attractant to insects). Use it every other day 2 weeks before you travel to condition your skin.
- It can be used all the time and can be carried with you when you're out and about, so that you do not need to use any other soap – which may well be attractive to insects.
- Remember to reapply incognito® mosquito spray or Roll-on on the back of your hands after any washing.
- Just a little is needed to go a long way- up to three months!
- Also helps to keep fungal infections at bay, along with nits (headlice) and other unwanted visitors in your hair.
- Moisten before use.
- It also has repellent and anti-bacterial properties and also helps in the battle against keeping insects away.
To use incognito® organic Java citronella oil
- Dilute at least 1 to 6 to base oil before applying to skin or for bathing.
- It can also be used in any oil diffusers or burners. It can be added to any cream, shampoo, etc.
- Add a few drops to your clothes or luggage to keep them smelling fresh and small, unwanted, visitors away.
- Also use in the final rinse of washing clothes – put 10-20 drops in water & wring out after at least 20 minutes.
To use incognito® Zap-Ease
- Click 5 or 6 times (or more) on a bite or a sting to help relieve the itch.
- It will also help reduce swelling & inflammation.
- Suitable for those aged over 2 years.
- Not to be used by those with a heart pacemaker.
- Take with you at all times especially if you are prone to forgetting to apply repellent.