Are they in YOUR bed?
Bed bugs, the unwelcome guests that invade our personal space and disrupt our peaceful slumber. The bed bug infestation in Paris and likely already in London too, has caused a bit of stir within the media lately. When last have you considered bed bugs in your home? And do you know what you can do to completely get rid of these critters, but naturally? Read on for all you need to know!
In recent years, bed bug infestations have been on the rise across the globe, including Paris and London - two of the most iconic cities that have made the news lately. These cosmopolitan hubs, known for their rich history and vibrant cultures, have been dealing with an uptick in bed bug cases. And with the upcoming Paris Olympics in 2024, these infestations are vulnerable to factors such as increased travel and the insects' growing resistance to pesticides have contributed to the resurgence.
Understanding Bed Bugs
Before we delve into the solution, it's crucial to understand our adversary. Bed bugs are small, reddish-brown insects that feed on the blood of humans and animals. They're notorious for their ability to hide in tiny cracks and crevices, making them incredibly difficult to eradicate.
1. Ancient Pests: Bed bugs have been pests for thousands of years. They've been found in archaeological sites dating back to 3,500 years ago.
2. Nocturnal Nuisances: Bed bugs are nocturnal creatures, which means they're most active at night. This is when they come out to feed on their host's blood, usually while the person is sleeping.
3. Tiny but Tough: Despite their small size (about the size of an apple seed), bed bugs can survive for months without a blood meal. This makes them incredibly resilient and difficult to eliminate.
4. Speedy Breeders: A female bed bug can lay hundreds of eggs in her lifetime, which usually spans around 6 to 12 months. This means a small infestation can quickly grow into a large one.
5. Stealthy Hitchhikers: Bed bugs are excellent hitchhikers and can easily latch onto luggage, clothing, or other personal items. This is how they often spread from place to place.
6. Sneaky Hideouts: Bed bugs are skilled at hiding in cracks, crevices, and other tight spaces. They can be found in furniture, behind wallpaper, in electrical outlets, and even within the seams of mattresses and box springs.
7. Resistant to Pesticides: Over time, bed bugs have developed resistance to many common pesticides. This makes it crucial to use a multi-faceted approach when trying to eradicate them.
8. Distinctive Odor: Bed bugs emit a musty, sweet odour that is often described as similar to raspberries. This scent can be noticeable in areas with a large infestation.
9. Allergic Reactions: Some people may develop allergic reactions to bed bug bites, which can range from mild itching to severe rashes. In rare cases, they can trigger more serious health issues.
The Java Citronella Oil Remedy
Java citronella oil, derived from the leaves of the Cymbopogon winterianus plant, is a natural solution that has shown promise in combating bed bug infestations. Here's why it's gaining attention:
1. Repellent Properties: Citronella oil is renowned for its strong insect-repellent properties. While it's commonly used to deter mosquitoes and other insects, its effectiveness against bed bugs has also been noted. Java citronella in particular, is at least twice as potent (3 x stronger) than the ordinary common variety of citronella (cymbopogon nardus); due to the fact that it is normally found only in Java and is quite rare. Insects have not been able to build up immunity to it due to lack of exposure.
incognito®'s Organic Java Citronella is purely the essential oil, Java citronella oil.
2. Natural and Non-Toxic: Unlike many chemical pesticides, citronella oil is a natural, plant-based remedy . This makes it an excellent option for those looking for an eco-friendly solution.
Using Java Citronella Oil
Here's a simple step-by-step guide on how to use Java citronella oil to combat bed bugs:
1. Create a Diluted Solution: Mix 20 drops or 1ml of Java citronella oil with 100ml of warm/hot water for high strength protection. For unprecedented protection, you can also add 20 drops of Java Citronella oil to incognito's flagship insect repellent spray. Shake well to ensure thorough mixing.
2. Spray Infested Areas: Using a spray bottle, apply the solution to areas where bed bugs are suspected to hide. Focus on cracks, crevices, and seams of mattresses, as well as any other potential hiding spots.
3. Repeat as Necessary: Reapply the solution every few days until the infestation subsides. Be persistent, as bed bugs can be resilient.
4. Wash Bedding and Vacuum Regularly: To enhance the effectiveness of the treatment, wash all bedding, curtains, and clothing in hot water. Vacuum your living space regularly, paying special attention to seams, edges, and corners. Here, you can also add a few drops of incognito®'s Organic Java Citronella to your bedding, clothing, curtains (in suitable washing liquid) to keep them free of any unwanted small visitors as well as smelling fresh.
Did you know?
The PMD used in our insect repellent biocide range: spray, roll-on, lotion and 3-in-1 sunblock, has been clinically tested to have a high efficiency rate against bed bugs. Our flagship insect repellent spray in particular, is a great solution – simply spray where needed on your clothing, bedding, curtains, yourself! On material surfaces wait to for it to dry before sitting/sleeping. With incognito’s far-reaching protection against bugs, you can be rest assured you’re protect
ing yourself and your home with your favourite ethical insect repellent range.
The recent bed bug infestations in Paris and London have reminded us of the importance of effective and safe remedies. Java citronella oil and incognito insect repellent range offers high strength protection yet a natural and eco-friendly alternative to chemical pesticides.
By understanding the behaviour of bed bugs and using natural and effective solutions such as incognito, we can regain control of our living spaces and enjoy peaceful, uninterrupted nights once again. Remember, consistency is key when dealing with these persistent pests, so don't be discouraged. With incognito to hand, you’ll be bug free and happy in no time. Happy bug-busting!