Surviving and thriving through the summer school holidays: Tips & safety measures
The school summer holidays are a time of freedom and carefree fun for our kids but often another juggling feat for us parents. While it can be a wonderful time to bond as a family, create lasting memories and explore new experiences together it can also feel overwhelming with kids at home and the potential risks associated with summer activities. To help you make the most of this time while ensuring everyone's safety, here are some friendly and practical tips for parents with children during the summer school holidays.
YOUR GUIDE FOR A STRESS-FREE SUMMER HOLIDAY:
- Plan Fun and Engaging Activities: Keep your children occupied and entertained with a mix of indoor and outdoor activities. Consider picnics at the park, beach days, arts and crafts sessions, movie nights, and visits to local museums or attractions. Planning ahead will help you avoid those dreaded words: "I'm bored!"
- Involve Your Children in Planning: Let your kids be part of the decision-making process when planning activities. This not only empowers them but also ensures that the activities align with their interests and preferences. This also gives them something to look forward to and get excited about.
- Create a Flexible Schedule: While it's good to have a loose daily schedule, remember that flexibility is key. Kids love spontaneity, and sometimes the best moments are the ones that happen unexpectedly.
- Encourage Outdoor Play: Spending time outdoors has numerous benefits for kids, including physical activity, exposure to nature, and improved mood. Just be sure to protect them from harsh sunlight by applying sunscreen, providing hats, and seeking shade during peak hours.
- Stay Hydrated: Summer heat can lead to dehydration, so ensure your kids drink plenty of water throughout the day. Make it fun by infusing water with fruits or creating ice-cold, flavoured ice lollies.
- Safety First: Keep your children safe during their summer adventures with these important safety tips:
- Sun Protection: Apply sunblock with at least SPF 30, and reapply every two hours, or more frequently if swimming or sweating. Don't forget to protect their eyes with sunglasses and seek shade during the hottest part of the day.
- Stay Cool: On scorching days, opt for activities indoors or near water sources. Create DIY water games in the backyard or use splash pools, hosepipes, or sprinklers to stay cool.
- Beware of Biting Insects: Use insect repellent like our incognito range of award-winning 100% natural insect repellents to protect you and your kids from pesky bites, especially during outdoor activities or camping trips.
- Water Safety: If you're going to the beach, a lake, or a pool, always supervise your children and ensure they wear appropriate flotation devices if needed. Teach them about water safety rules as well.
- Bike Safety: If your kids love riding bikes, ensure they wear helmets and follow traffic rules. Supervise younger children and avoid busy roads.
- Food Safety: When having picnics or outdoor meals, store perishable foods properly, and avoid leaving them out in the sun for too long. Opt for healthy snacks like fruits and veggies.
- Embrace Learning Opportunities: Summer holidays don't have to mean a break from learning. Engage your children in educational activities, such as reading books, visiting museums, or exploring science experiments at home.
- Connect with Other Parents: Organise playdates or get involved in local community events. Connecting with other parents can be a great way for you and your children to socialize and make new friends.
- Prioritize Self-Care: Remember to take care of yourself amidst all the summer activities. Find time for relaxation, exercise, and doing things you enjoy. A happy and well-rested parent means a happier summer for everyone!
- Capture the Memories: Document your summer adventures through photos and videos. These cherished memories will be something you and your children can look back on for years to come. They can also enjoy helping to put together a holiday scrapbook of things they have done, or collected.
With these tips and safety measures in mind, you can navigate through the summer school holidays with ease, ensuring a memorable and safe experience for your children. Enjoy this special time together and embrace all the joy and fun it brings!
Please follow incognito_lessmosquito on Tiktok for unique content & exclusive discounts!